Case study

Alcohol Free Friend

An mobile app design and development case study

The goal

To build an can app that could scale the impact and help more people live a healthier, better life. Not just for women, but for men too.

The solution

Nobody can have the expectation that a digital solution would work as effectively as a bespoke approach. Our ambition was still to come up with a design that would maximize the impact on peoples’ lives.

We will describe in the following sections the steps we took to launch the best solution.

The results

Through hard work, detailed planning, unique design, and development, we were able to create an app which automated a 6 week program that works over 90% of the time (40% more successful than regular AA – Alcoholics Anonymous). The approach was based on one-on-one communication and a bespoke program for each woman, as outlined by Sarah(the client). We think the recommendation Sarah wrote for us will tell you a lot:

Not only is the service impeccable, but the quality of work outstanding, and tremendous value for money.

I have and will continue to recommend their work, the way they take time to explain the complex nature at least for those of us who are not developers with calm and care.
Thank you so very much. I am sure that your dedication will be shown as outstanding once the App is in full flow.

After we completed the UI design, we created an interactive prototype using Marvel. You can check it yourself.

We sent this to some of the potential users and we received valuable feedback. We gave up on some features, redesigned some other parts of the app and reached a final idea for how the final app is going to look like. We were now ready to start coding.

Branding

We see Branding as a very important idea to keep in mind, when designing a product. Since the Alcohol Free Friend app was going to be separated from its mother company, Harrogate Sanctuary, it needed a different brand.

UI design

After clarifying more about the app, we started working a high-fidelity UI design. This is the stage where we focused on generating better ideas, we paid more attention to detail and we got a great result.

We prepared this design to also be tested, without writing any code. Testing the design with real users is really important. Because we didn’t start coding an untested design, we saved the client a lot of resources. So we prepared each step the user would take and create an organized series of images.

We launched an overall better product because we took this step seriously.

Testing the prototype

After we completed the UI design, we created an interactive prototype using Marvel. You can check it yourself.

We sent this to some of the potential users and we received valuable feedback. We gave up on some features, redesigned some other parts of the app and reached a final idea for how the final app is going to look like. We were now ready to start coding.

Testing the prototype

After we completed the UI design, we created an interactive prototype using Marvel. You can check it yourself.

We sent this to some of the potential users and we received valuable feedback. We gave up on some features, redesigned some other parts of the app and reached a final idea for how the final app is going to look like. We were now ready to start coding.

iOS app development

In order to change lives and help Sarah do that, we need to deliver apps that have great quality. We made sure to use only the best practices: great, clean architecture, unit tested code.

We launched a couple of beta versions, made some fixes and only after we were sure that we could provide the best experience for the users, we launched the app to the App Store. The result made us proud.